ECHIDNA includes several unique features:
- Classification and filtering functionalities to group CEC based on key properties such as persistence, bioaccumulation and toxicity making it valuable across drinking water, recycled water and wastewater industries.
- An inbuilt risk prioritisation tool that identifies high risk contaminants ranking them based on the user-specified shortlist.
- Direct links to information on management options to address the risk of environmental and human health effects.
With over 200 subscribers to date, ECHIDNA has proved a useful tool for utilities, regulators, researchers, and consultants. The ECHIDNA project team has prioritised the following proposed additions to the functionality of ECHIDNA, based on extensive user feedback over the past year. The highest priority proposals are currently under development as Project Briefs and Requests for Funding (RFFs), and include:
- The addition of new contaminants.
- Occurrence data.
- The addition of biosolids, recycled water and untreated sewage to the risk framework.
- Sources of contaminants and integration with the CHASM stormwater tool.
- Remediation and removal options.
We encourage all members to register for free ECHIDNA access if you haven’t already, or continue to use and contribute to the database during this period of development.