March 6, 2020
We have updated our Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) Water and Sanitation factsheet based on the latest developments emerging around the disease.
Our factsheet encourages ‘business as usual’ in terms of hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water before and after eating as well as after attending the toilet.
- Wear appropriate PPE when working in areas where exposure to untreated wastewater is possible – safety goggles, face shields (or masks), gloves, as well and increased hand hygiene.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands;
- Avoid contact with others if they have cold and flu like symptoms;
- Clean and disinfect surfaces;
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow;
- Stay home if you are unwell.
It is also important to know that standard water and wastewater treatment and disinfection processes used to control pathogen transmission via water routes are expected to be effective on SARS-CoV-2.
We encourage all of our members to keep informed and follow the instructions and recommendations as advised by The Australian Government and other trusted sources, such as:
Water Research Foundation – Coronavirus Research Webcast
World Health Organisation - Website
WSAA - Factsheet
Australian Government Department of Health, 2020, ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert’, [online] https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert.