THE Australian water industry offers exciting and diverse potential career paths for research and science students. Building future expertise across the water industry is a key focus of the Water Research Australia (WaterRA) Research Leadership Program.
With a significant shortfall of expertise across the industry, organisations are vying for engineers, chemists, biologists, microbiologists, mathematicians, physicists, ecologists, economists, social scientists, polymer scientists, modellers and many other professionals.
Honours Scholarship packages are awarded to students of exceptional research potential who are currently undertaking a relevant degree. Students who excel in this focused program will build capacity in the area of water research, thus providing opportunities for employment in the water industry or to progress to a postgraduate degree in a water-related field of research.
Masters by Coursework Scholarship packages are awarded for the research project component only. This support is for up to a 1 year period, generally in the second year of the degree. This scholarship will assist in enhancing and developing the research skills of the student. Masters by Coursework students receive the same benefits as the Honours package.
Michael R Moore Memorial Honours Scholarship
The Michael R Moore Memorial Honours Scholarship is offered annually in honour of toxicologist Professor Michael R Moore for his passion and contribution for research. For further information click here
- Introduction to Young Water Professionals networks
- Attendance at WaterRA Research Symposiums or OzWater
- Engagement with members within the water industry
- Networking with fellow WaterRA students
- Access to reports and publications on water research being undertaken nationally by members
- Presentations to WaterRA members
- International links
Students must be in Australia and already enrolled or applying to enrol at an Australian University.
WaterRA Honours Scholarships
- Applications are open to domestic and international students unless otherwise specified
- International students must be in Australia when applying for the scholarship
- Student enrolment status must be full time.
- Student must be available for orientation day (February 2020)
- Students are expected to submit applications for AWA Awards as appropriate
- WaterRA will provide travel and accomodation for students to attend events ie: student orientation day
- Student will be supported to attend the WaterRA Research Symposium or an OzWater Conference
- WaterRA encourage students to seek legal advice on the Student Agreement if offered a scholarship. WaterRA will reimburse up to $300 (GST inclusive) for legal advice.
- Honours applicants will be awarded the scholarship based on merit selection.
- Prospective candidates are advised to contact the supervisor listed on the project to discuss their interest and suitability to the project requirements prior to submitting an application.
- WaterRA student application form, CV and an official academic record are to be attached in one document. Please note, an official transcript may take up to one week or more to obtain - this turnaround time needs to be factored in
- Preference is for referees to be an academic or employer supervisor
- The Student Agreement (RASP) is to be signed by WaterRA, the Sponsor (if applicable), the university and the student before commencement of WaterRA scholarship
- WaterRA reserves the right not to award all scholarships
- Your application is to be emailed to Capability Research Manager by your University due date or as negotiated
Essential Criteria for Student Applications must:
- Ensure academic transcript and CV is attached as one document
- Referees have been notified. Preference is for academic or employer supervisor referees
- Have contacted project supervisor to ensure your suitability to the project requirements
- Ensure content of application includes work experience and skills/study which relate to the project requirements
- Demonstrate your motivation to be involved in the water industry
- Your application will receive a score based on
a) academic record
b) quality of written application
c) skills/study match to the project requirements
Key Information for Students
University enrolment dates:
Check the university website for scholarship enrolment due dates.
The Process & Funding Model
Honours / Masters Coursework
Research Capability Manager
08 7424 2443